[Gllug] A long shot... Windows support

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Mon Dec 27 10:34:16 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-12-26 at 19:22 +0000, Tethys wrote:
> Over Christmas, it became apparent that I'm completely out of
> my depth when trying to fix my parents computers. Their machines
> are not doing DNS lookups properly, so they can't get their
> email. And on Windows, I'm lacking the tools I need to diagnose
> and fix the problem. Yes, I got as far as enabling telnet (which
> is mysteriously disabled by default) and downloading wireshark.
> But something's blocking DNS traffic. It appears to be on the
> machines themselves,

I cannot suggest anyone in particular (have you considered one of the
various rent a geek type services?) but I strongly suspect there is a
firewall or anti-virus application on the machines which is blocking the
traffic - or perhaps a combination of the two.

What version of Windows is it? Some recent versions have a control panel
application for managing security applications.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk