[Gllug] where do older sys admins end up?

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Thu Dec 30 10:21:40 UTC 2010

David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 29 Dec 2010, john maclean wrote:
> >Where do older systems administrators end up? I don't know that many
> >programmers in their 50/60 and it suddenly dawned on me that I don't
> >know any sys admins in that age range.
>
> I do, but partly it's just that the field has expanded. Someone
> retiring from sysadmin at 65 today might have started as a
> pimply-faced youth of 20 in 1965. But how many sysadmin jobs were
> there in 1965?

I was talking to an ESA chap at Harwell the other day. They have a huge
database of climate measurements going back many, many satellites (and
data formats), and they are looking for someone to do data warehousing,
visualisation work, integration and so forth. Knowing ESA, that's
probably including data formats from 1965 that no-one else
understands...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
managing director      251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk