[Gllug] Computer won't turn on

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Fri Dec 3 08:50:21 UTC 2010

On Fri 03 Dec, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:

> Also, check your fans are all spinning up too, dead/stuck fans can cause
> the same problem. On desktop machines it's very rare for a CPU fan not
> to come on at power on time by design - I've only ever seen that on one
> model of IBM so if it doesn't spin you might have found your culprit. If
> it doesn't spin then heating it with a hairdryer for a minute will
> sometimes get it going again but you'll need to replace it in the long term!

   Ball bearing fans may make slightly more audible noise but they usually
last well. Sleeve bearing fans use a sintered (compressed powder) bearing
that is "lubricated for life" by oil or grease soaked into the porous
lattice. The lubrication dries out, but the bearing can be re-lubricated by
peeling back the label and possibly removing a rubber plug.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk