[Gllug] network mapping

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 19:38:31 UTC 2010

On 30 December 2010 17:14, john maclean <jayeola at gmail.com> wrote:
> I came across a tool by spiceworks today [0]. Seems like a decent tool
> but it runs on "the wrong OS". anyone able to suggest something
> similar(ish) for a *nix box?
>
> [0] http://www.spiceworks.com/

I actual use, network visualisation is not actually that useful.
Generally all that is needed, is a single line reported to the user
saying "network card X has failed". It might sound simple, but it is
actually quite difficult to get right in all failure cases.
Having something go red on a visual diagram is really not a lot of
use, and particularly, in large networks, problems can be missed is a
sea of green objects.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk