[Gllug] PAYG mobile broadband

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 20 17:15:00 UTC 2010

On 20 December 2010 15:51, Tristan Miller <psychonaut at nothingisreal.com> wrote:

> The MS Windows installer wasn't interactive; it didn't prompt for my region
> or ISP.  So if it really was loading firmware, it's kind of annoying that
> this wasn't done by Vodafone in advance of my having purchased the device.
> (The dongle didn't come with a separate installation disk; whatever
> firmware was loaded must have already existed somewhere on the dongle.)

The Mifi thingamajig comes with its Windows control software onboard,
and presents itself as a mass storage device.
I might be wrong, but it prompts the windows user to run the installer
when you first plug it in.
This is NOT of course a firmware update to the Mifi, but hopefully you
get my drift.
That's the pain with the Mifi I have - Windows 32 bit only, and my
Windows 64 bit laptop is just ignored.
I gather later versions of Mifi have an onboard web interface enabled,
by ICBA to search for the relevant firmware.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk