[Gllug] Linux weather station!

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Sun Feb 21 20:14:21 UTC 2010

Bernard Peek <bap at shrdlu.com> wrote:

> On 21/02/10 10:17, Richard Jones wrote:
> > I'll second that getting a good iron is important. Also get one with
> > a pointed tip, rather than the kind of flat tip you get on cheap
> > soldering irons.
> >

> A couple of additional tips. Bigger is not necessarily better. For
> modern PCB work you don't need a fantastically powerful iron, about 15
> or 18 watt will be more than adequate.
>
> When you solder a joing use the iron to heat the work, then touch the
> solder to the work. Don't load up the iron with a blob of solder and use
> that to make a joint.
>
> Lead-based solder is preferable but you won't find it in Maplin's. You
> can buy a perfectly adequate lead-based solder in some of the pound shops.

Our guys swear by using solder paste for most small jobs. You can apply
it with a pointy object, place the item to be soldered on top, and heat,
without having to try and hold the solder in place...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
technical director     251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk