[Gllug] Buying a switch (a sort of repost/recap on an old thread)

sean S.Tohill at westminster.ac.uk
Mon Feb 8 13:16:08 UTC 2010

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 10:44:41AM +0000, James Hawtin wrote:
>
>> Clearly your firewalling for the interweb will require a machine too
>> do that, however your probably always going to have to as I have
>> never seen a swich that does NAT for example. Your internet
>> connection however does not need gigabit switching power so you can
>> use a much lower spec system for that.
>>

> Mmm, seems your logic here is right.  So the next question would be
> what is a cheap, small, quiet PC that has 2-4 ethernet ports on it?
>
> Rich.

something like a cisco 877 adsl router would do most of what you want,
add a cisco 2950 switch for the vlans. 877s are around £120-£140 on ebay

you could have a look at the cisco 837 router. discontinued and not
supported by cisco, but has various built in features that are on your
list.  available at around £20 on ebay. doesn't run the vlan trunking
protocol though.

some of the choice depends on what you want vlans for and how complex
the set up will be.

regards

sean

--
The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by
guarantee.  Registration number: 977818 England.  Registered Office:
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk