[Gllug] Buying a switch (a sort of repost/recap on an old thread)

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 12:43:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Christopher Mocock <chris at wavestore.com> wrote:

> On 02/08/2010 12:18 PM, Richard Jones wrote:
>> /me eyes up ... http://www.fit-pc.co.uk/meet-fit-pc-2i.html
>
> As long as you're happy to use it command-line only you'll probably be
> OK but otherwise I'd be careful because it has the Intel GMA500 graphics
> chip which has a disastrously poor Linux driver...

Well, yes, but it's a firewall, so you'd probably want to run it
headless anyway[1].

Tet

[1] With the caveat that Richard will probably want to run Fedora,
recent releases of which seem to make it increasingly hard to run a
headless machine. This doesn't bode well for RHEL6 and beyond.
--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk