[Gllug] Buying a switch (a sort of repost/recap on an old thread)

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Feb 8 23:38:58 UTC 2010

Thanks to everyone who answered.  In the end I opted for:

- 3Com Baseline 2920
  http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&sku=3CRBSG2093&pathtype=purchase

16 port semi-managed gigE switch from a reputable company (although
they have now been bought by HP).  Does VLANs but not firewalls.
Supports port aggregation & jumbo frames, both of which I'd like to
play with.  Seems to have reasonable switching capacity so I should be
able to shift multi-gig VM images around very quickly.

- Alix 2D3 [as firewall]
  http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12270
  http://pcengines.ch/pdf/alix2.pdf

I liked the very thorough documentation available for this.  Being
Geode/VIA-based, I'm under no illusions about speed, but it should be
fast enough to provide a firewall to and from the internet.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat