[Gllug] sharing folders between users

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Wed Feb 17 16:54:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 04:40:41PM +0000, Justin wrote:
> I am wanting to share files between two users on one machine. It does
> not make sense to me that I would need to install smb to do that.

To share a file on a local filesystem, both users require adequate
permissons to the whole path to the file, not just the file itself.  So
if the file example.sh is in Dave's home directory -
/home/dave/example.file, then Bob needs sufficient permissions to
traverse /home and /home/dave/ as well as adequate permissions to read
example.file.

If you are working with a standard UNIX filesystem, this means

  1.  minimum of execute (traverse) permissions for "all users" on /home
and /home/dave, and read permissions on example.file

  2.  Add Dave and Bob to the same group, make sure that group owns
/home, /home/dave and /home/dave/example.sh and make sure that "group"
permissions for those directories and files is the same as described in
step 1.

  3.  Some combination of 1 and 2.

If your filesystem supports POSIX ACLs then you have more options but
they still mean ensuring rights all the way down the path.

--
Bruce

Hierophant: someone who remembers, when you are on the way down,
everything you did to them on the way up.