[Gllug] recommendations for retailers of OS free or linux installed desktop boxes?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Feb 26 12:01:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:15:09AM +0000, adam_pgsql wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to buy a cheapish desktop box and run ubuntu on it. Does anyone recommend anywhere that sells OS free boxes, or even boxes with linux pre-installed?

It really depends on what you want to use it for.

If it's just standard desktop applications, then for a new machine you
can't get much cheaper than an Acer Aspire Revo. Small case, Intel
Atom CPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB disk, ethernet and wireless, low power usage.

Prices usually between 130 and 150 GBP:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167153

No internal CDROM, so install from USB or network.

Makes a nice MythTV machine as well.