[Gllug] recommendations for retailers of OS free or linux installed desktop boxes?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Feb 26 12:46:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:01:57 +0000, John Edwards
<john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:15:09AM +0000, adam_pgsql wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking to buy a cheapish desktop box and run ubuntu on it. Does
>> anyone recommend anywhere that sells OS free boxes, or even boxes with
>> linux pre-installed?
>>

> It really depends on what you want to use it for.
>
> If it's just standard desktop applications, then for a new machine you
> can't get much cheaper than an Acer Aspire Revo. Small case, Intel
> Atom CPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB disk, ethernet and wireless, low power usage.

I've used one of these as a desktop box and it's hard to fault.  The NVidia
graphics chip means the display is plenty fast enough to run a flashy
desktop (if that's the way your inclinations take you) and the tiny power
consumption means it's small and quiet.

I've now passed it on to my sister-in-law who wanted a replacement for her
Windows laptop.  She's using Debian Lenny on it and seems very happy.

On the more general question of where you can buy suitable boxes other than
this, DNUK - http://dnuk.com/ - do very nice kit, or for the plain vanilla
OS-free beige box, try Novatech - http://www.novatech.co.uk/

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk