[Gllug] Linux display colours and OS X

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Tue Feb 23 09:00:04 UTC 2010

On Tue 23 Feb, Tethys wrote:

> --------
>
> Chris Bell writes:
>
> >   I have not run any tests on recent computer monitors, but older monitors
> >were not noted for good display quality. The primary red, green, and blue
> >screen light emitters need to correspond to the eye sensitivity so that each
> >has maximum effect on the relevant eye sensors together with minimum effect
> >on the others on any individual eye, and that may vary. The real average eye
> >sensitivities do not make it easy to achieve.
>
> If it's important to you, you can get calibrate your monitor for
> accurate colour output using a hardware device like the Colorvision
> Spyder (which is fairly cheap and works with Linux).
>
> Tet

   Older tubed TVs used very expensive rare earth phosphors to get an
extended red response (a deep red instead of an orange). Computer monitors
were purchased to give colours, but not neccessarily true colours. There is
nothing that a matrix can do to generate a good saturated colour if the
basic emitter colour is totally wrong, but there have been many changes
since then.
   How many people bother to view their screen with only colour matching
room lighting for comparison? Try pointing a cheapo camera at a good range
of colours, then compare the screen display with the real colours. Try
pointing the same cheapo camera at a standard flourescent or low wattage
light.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk