[Gllug] Linux display colours and OS X

gvim gvimrc at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 23 12:00:11 UTC 2010

On 23/02/2010 09:00, Chris Bell wrote:

>     Older tubed TVs used very expensive rare earth phosphors to get an
> extended red response (a deep red instead of an orange). Computer monitors
> were purchased to give colours, but not neccessarily true colours. There is
> nothing that a matrix can do to generate a good saturated colour if the
> basic emitter colour is totally wrong, but there have been many changes
> since then.
>     How many people bother to view their screen with only colour matching
> room lighting for comparison? Try pointing a cheapo camera at a good range
> of colours, then compare the screen display with the real colours. Try
> pointing the same cheapo camera at a standard flourescent or low wattage
> light.

I'm not looking for an objective ideal colour mapping. Not even print colour accuracy, come to that. Just something on a par with what I get with the OS X's simple ColorSync tool. The white points I've seen on Linux so far have a horrible yellow tint and the greys are just awful, similar to Windows XP in Classic view.

gvim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk