[Gllug] Buying a switch (a sort of repost/recap on an old thread)

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Feb 7 19:54:15 UTC 2010

Sorry for bringing this one up again, but at the end of last year I
asked about buying a reasonable gig-E switch for my home.  Since then
I've moved in and run Cat5e cabling to most rooms.

I'd like to find a switch that can perform routing / firewalling
between VLANs, without requiring a separate firewall.  None of the
switches I've looked at seem like they can do this.  I could set up a
cheap PC to do this, but that requires another box with 2 or 3
ethernet ports, power and so on, so it's a good deal less efficient
than just having a feature within the switch to set up firewalls.
More space, more power, more noise ...

Is this something that any switches can do?

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat