[Gllug] VPN?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Feb 9 00:33:28 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 12:11:17AM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    I am trying to learn more about networking using a single public IP
> address allocated to an IPCop box. I have put a small number of computers on
> the protected "green" network of the IPCop box, one of which is configured
> as both mailserver and samba fileserver, with three groups of files needing
> different access restrictions (general work files, restricted office files,
> and personal files). One of the other boxes is a M$ Windows laptop which is
> sometimes connected by direct ethernet but is also required to fully connect
> to the server as a "RoadWarrior" at other times. My first thought was to set
> up a VPN, but is this the best approach?
>    Any advice welcomed, thanks in advance.

OpenVPN. The Windows implementation of IPSec is an absolute horror.

For IPCop 1.4 get the Zerina addon:
    http://www.ipcop.org/index-pn.php?module=pnWikka&tag=OpenVPNHowto

I seem to remember that the install does a check on the IPCop version.
It wants something like 1.4.18, but will work fine on 1.4.21.