[Gllug] Cheapish NAS.

Dan danthegeekman at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 19 14:31:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 5:14 AM, general_email at technicalbloke.com <
general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
>No need for flames here, I really value all your input, this stuff is
>quite new to me (in practice if not in concept)!

>Thanks,

>:)

>Roger.

Your welcome Roger.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 5:43 AM, general_email at technicalbloke.com <
general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
> Openfiler is nice.

Regarding OpenFiler, not having used it.  The only advantage for the much
bigger overhead would appear to be SAN support.  If your not interested in
that, or something similarly special I would just stick with FreeNAS.
Although like you say Roger it's free so what the hell.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 8:14 AM, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:

> Keeping backups onsite is always a massive error. In the event of fire
> it will lead to the collapse of the whole business

I think everyone totally agrees with that.  I was assuming the reason 2
external backup drives were being used so that 1 could be off site at all
times.  If this isn't the case then this back-up strategy has a big hole in
it.

Dan