[Gllug] need some optimisation and security help

Sean Burlington sean at practicalweb.co.uk
Thu Feb 11 08:25:46 UTC 2010

Hi all,
    I'm working on a contract as a PHP developer (one of two)

Unfortunately the server setup is falling to the developers and while
we could probably do it neither of us is claiming be be experts and
the site has seen quite a bit of traffic (though this peaked at launch
and is falling)

I'm guessing it's just a few days work - with maybe a little bit of
ongoing consultancy - and possibly hosting.

I'm not in a position to hire anyone - but it's in my interest to get
someone good in so I'm looking for good people to put forward to
management.

A little about our setup.

We have 4 Ubuntu web servers (Jaunty) load balanced with one server
running mysql (Also Ubuntu I think)

Each web server is running Apache,  memcache, and varnish

What I think we need:  optimisation, security tightening, a good
process for keeping the servers synchronised, load monitoring,
intrusion detection, and maybe a review of hardware choices.

We may be looking for a new hosting solution too as we're not happy
with the existing one

The client is near Waterloo, it's a Government agency, they expect to
pay commercial rates - not quite sure what the going rate is for this
work - but we want someone good. We'll need to meet but can arrange
remote access to servers.

Drop me an email if you're interested or have any recommendations for
good people/companies.

(and don't forget that replies go to the list by default)

--

Sean Burlington

www.practicalweb.co.uk

I really hope this mail doesn't spark a flamefest - but just in case
I've been on list list for at least a decade
I have read the FAQ today
If I say it's a vacancy it sounds like a perm job which it really isn't
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk