[Gllug] MySpace music

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed Feb 10 23:20:44 UTC 2010

Tethys wrote:
> I don't like MySpace. However, for the genre of music that I most
> listen to (and probably other genres that I don't care about), a
> large number of bands publish samples of the their music on their
> MySpace page, and I'd like to be able to listen to them. Any ideas
> on how I can achieve this using Linux?
>
> Neither gnash or swfdec work. Even the Adobe Flash plugin results
> in a plain black box where the music player should be. I've tried
> both 10.0r32, and the latest beta version, 10.1d51, and I see the
> same problem on both 32-bit and 64-bit distributions. Can it really
> be that a site as large and popular as MySpace simply doesn't work
> under Linux? I'm using various 3.x versions of Firefox (on the
> machine on which I'm typing this, I'm using 32-bit 3.5.5). I'm on
> Fedora 11 and 12.
>
> TIA,
>
> Tet

Are you using no-script or similar? If so you may have to enable scripts
from several domains to get the player working. You could try Chrome to
rule out a problem with Firefox.

I suppose it could also be a nasty interaction with your graphics card
driver which would give you that problem accross distros. Do you have a
spare GFX card you could try swapping in?

I think Mint has flash baked in so you could also try a live-CD of that.

I've not had any issues with MySpace on 32bit Ubuntu 9.04 with flash
from the medibuntu repository. Flash's frame rate on high quality video
is still lamentable in fullscreen mode but I think that's common to all
distro's i.e. ropey code from Adobe (whoda thunk it?)

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk