[Gllug] Mobile (?) with E-mail & Calendar

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Thu Feb 4 11:54:40 UTC 2010

> > My wife's current mobile phone allows her to sync with her
> > e-mail system at work.  Fine.
>
> Well, if it is Outlook which work are running I'd guess a Windows
> Mobile device is the one for her :-)
>
> Now, having got that aside consider the Nokia N900. Runs Linux, natch.
> https://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Email_Options
>
> I'd guess the iPhone must have similar - doubtless there will be a

I can confirm that the iPhone works well for MS Exchange calendars and
mail.  You even get a little popup invite notification somewhat like
an SMS alert when upcoming events are announced.

Though I hate the walled-garden approach that Apple has taken
and can't stand that bloody iTunes software, personally I wouldn't
recommend any other phone to a non-technical user right now as
most brands' interfaces are quite buggy at the moment as they all
seem to be in the middle of attempting to bridge the iphone/touch
'interface polish gap' with very mixed results.

Typically this results in one or more of:
 - high-latency interface (press button, wait for reaction .. in
   particular check a device's browser on a non-trivial HTML
   pages for some truly icky results from some vendors)
 - over-complex interfaces (too many buttons etc.)
 - poor touch accuracy

OTOH, I've seen some new HTC devices (Windows Mobile based) and
heard good reports from (non-technical) users, though haven't
tried them yet myself.

- Walter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk