[Gllug] [OT] UPS wanted

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Wed Feb 3 09:55:12 UTC 2010

On Wed 03 Feb, t.clarke wrote:

> While a UPS should protect your computers from a dodgy mains-supply (and I
> believe that depends on the type of UPS - some provide permanent clean power
> and others switch-over to backup 'instantly' when they detect a power failure
> -from memory!),  it may be that all you need is a good 'anti-spike' filtering
> device  - I presume it spikes that are killing your PSUs rather than outright
> power failure or brown-outs.  There are a number of guys on the list with far
> more knowledge of electrical matters than me - so I am sure there will be more
> knowledgeable posts on the subject!
>
> Tim

   I lost a much larger quantity of hardware when the local mains feeder
started shorting between phases, putting spikes approaching 400 volts on the
line. The street lights were switching off about every 20 minutes. It took
over a year plus constant nagging from TFL plus a local area transformer in
danger of bursting into flames before the cable fault was fixed. The
transformer had to be replaced.
   Equipment is not fully protected from this kind of fault by the normal
spike protection, which could even be damaged by the spikes.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk