[Gllug] New list reader

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Jan 30 01:26:33 UTC 2010

On 29 Jan 2010, rw at shadowrobot.com said:

> Every emacs that might do the moral equivalent of throwing up an hourglass gets its own emacs.
>
> Senator, I'm looking at you.

:/

> As for the insanity of gnus...

Oh yes, gnus is slow. However, I've found a way to speed it up. It's
strongly dcache-bound, with awful locality of reference: so going from a
1.25GHz Athlon 4, with 512Kb L2 dcache, to a 2.66GHz Nehalem-class CPU,
with 256Kb L2 and 8Mb L3, reduced my worst newsgroup entry time from 40
minutes down not to 15 minutes (as a naive clockspeed comparison of the
two machines might indicate) but to less than eight *seconds*. (Emacs
being single-threaded, the multiple cores didn't help much: but that
meant it got almost the whole L3 to itself.)

So, well, I don't have to wait for Gnus much anymore. :)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk