[Gllug] OT: Wireless signal solution recommendation

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Jan 15 14:20:18 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:29:38PM +0000, gvim wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting a friend's Netgear DG834 adsl2+ router,
> situated in the basemant, to connect to an iMac which is on the 5th
> floor. The house has very thick walls so can anyone recommend a signal
> booster/repeater solution? I read somewhere that an access point is
> different from a router but the article didn't specify that access
> points have better range.

I have to agree	with Christopher Hunter	here that you should go	with
Cat 5(e) cabling.  You can buy weatherproof cabling that you could run
up the outside of the block.  It's very easy to attach the connectors
to the cable	if you have the	right crimp tool.

I just bought a	lot of cable and tools from this company:

https://www.datalinkcabling.co.uk/cat-5e.aspx?id=1

Not the cheapest, but quick and friendly service.

A network test tool is also useful to avoid a lot of WTFs.  In fact
this kit will provide everything you need except for the cable and a
strong pair of kitchen scissors:

https://www.datalinkcabling.co.uk/detail.aspx?id=620&page=

Rich.

--