[Gllug] local backup solution

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 13 00:27:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> wrote:

> --------
>
> Martin writes:
>
> >At the moment it'll only be a local backup on a CD. We don't have any
> >server yet. We're thinking of automatically creating tar.gz/bz2 packages
> >at the end of the week and burning them on CDs (also automatically -
> >cdrecord?). Obviously, a CD would have to be put into a drive manually.
> >
> >Any ideas or other solutions?
>
> Back up to disk using rsync or similar. Aside from a few niche cases,
> nothing else makes sense, and this doesn't sound like a niche case.
>
> Tet
> --

If there ever was a case for *not using* HD it is this. 50MB is an amount
small enough to handle with non mechanical shenaningans involved and
adhering to traditional backup polices. One is more likely to do what one is
supposed to do if one is handling DVDs instead of HDs (which are bulkier,
need to be powered up, etc).