[Gllug] Multi monitor setup

Ben Whyall ben at whyte-systems.co.uk
Thu Jan 14 21:49:50 UTC 2010

On 13/01/2010 17:22, - Tethys wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Ken Smith<kens at kensnet.org>  wrote:
>
>> I read somewhere that the current X works out the settings on the fly,
>> but if you create an xorg file in /etc/X it will use it if its there. Or
>> maybe that's just here-say.
>
> It's true. But in my experience, it doesn't do the right thing for
> multi-monitor setups, and hand crafting a multi-monitor config that
> should work frequently doesn't do the right thing either. Hence my
> current reliance on xrandr.
>
> Tet

Hi thanks for all your information.

I have been having a lot of problems with X at the moment.  In the end
the solution has been to install the proprietary driver which provides
a method of generating a starting X config.

This I then modified to use the free driver and this has worked after a
fashion, I now have two screens running each with its own copy of fluxbox.

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk