[Gllug] New Zealand Education dept (fwd)

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Thu Jan 14 21:03:32 UTC 2010

Hello,
   I went to the BETT show at Olympia today, and was relatively pleased at
the amount of understanding of Linux. The majority of the hardware stands
selling items such as whiteboards told me that hardware drivers are
available (although there was no mention of quality). The few government
stands were trying hard to stand back and deny any preference or bias in any
direction, but many people I spoke to appeared to be at least aware of Linux
if not totally enthusiastic.
   I have heard complaints about the lack of Epson printer drivers, so I
asked specific questions on the Epson stand. The reply was that there did
not seem to be much demand, but the attitude changed when I pointed out that
people were avoiding Epson.
   More people were sceptical about New Zealand actually managing to leave
Microsoft in the time, but time will tell.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)