[Gllug] Wiping free space.

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Jan 1 00:29:22 UTC 2010

On 29 Dec 2009, Alain Williams told this:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 04:08:49PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> If you don't know what is running, this will remove stuff more than 1 hour old:
>
> 	find /var/tmp -mmin +60 | xargs rm -f

My bete noire is sysadmins who do this sort of thing to /tmp or /var/tmp
on multiuser systems. As an extreme case, I have seen (and written)
packaging systems which allow every individual shell process to have its
own set of installed packages (or at least binaries) by pointing $PATH
through dynamically-created symlink farms in /tmp (pam_mount would help
a bit here but it doesn't work very well on Solaris 8). Blow old stuff
in /tmp away and suddenly half your binaries vanish out from under
you...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk