[Gllug] Gllug Digest, Vol 78, Issue 56

pmgazz pmgazz at gmx.co.uk
Fri Jan 1 16:50:32 UTC 2010

I was approached recently by a school near Brighton (UK) who wanted to
sort out their dire CMS. Looked into it, seems their local education
authority required them to use a specific Microsoft Certified supplier
-- rarely seen such comprehensively enforced lock-in in my life and I
get the impression that LEAs often enforce this kind of lock-in.

On top of that, experience with NGOs teaches me that besides the FUD
factor instilled by their existing suppliers, they'll have all kinds of
multifunction printers, video equipment and god-knows-what that doesn't
have adequate (or any) Linux driver. Schools are also full of all kinds
of non-Linux-friendly kit - including whiteboards. I think it'd need
serious buy-in by officialdom for sensible planning - they would be able
to make a substantial case to whiteboard (and other hardware)
manufacturers that it'd be worth their while to provide adequate Linux
drivers. Most of their data will probably be in proprietary formats too.

I certainly think it'd be worth running demos of Edubuntu and try to
start building enthusiasm for Linux in schools from the ground up - in
my experience, teachers love it (or don't care what system is used) -
it's usually bureacrats who've had all manner of FUD banged into their
heads. But I think it'll be a gradual process, the migration issues are
usually far from insubstantial.

Paula

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk