[Gllug] printer shops

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Sat Jan 9 15:43:31 UTC 2010

2010/1/9 t.clarke <tim at seacon.co.uk>:
> If you really think that I sincerely hope you don't drive yourself;
> the 'mechanics' of driving a car may be repetitive (and achieved by
> computers)

I recall a demonstration on some trashy "science" programme (Possibly
Beyond 2000?) about five years ago of a system designed for use on the
motorway that would keep your car a safe distance from the car in
front and automatically brake when they brake.

One of the major causes of motorway accidents and traffic jams is
people following too closely and having to brake very heavily, causing
the cars behind to brake very heavily and so on bringing the motorway
to a standstill.  They demonstrated that this technology allowed more
cars to use the motorway at a given time and to travel more safely and
more efficiently with less braking required.

Anyone that has driven for long periods on the motorway would love
this technology, but should we really advocate technology that
actively encourages people not to take notice of what it is happening?
 Again, the shift of responsibility from the driver to the
manufacturer/programmer would concern me and I am sure it concerns
shareholders...

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk