[Gllug] Seeding bit torrent on Debian: a better way of doing this?

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Sat Jan 23 13:17:24 UTC 2010

I am seeding several files for bit torrent on Debian (files I have
created and want to make available in this way) but it is all rather
cumbersome and doesn't appear to be working too well in any case.

The files are available for HTTP download and at the moment I am doing
this:

screen
btmakemetafile http://tracker.publicbt.com:80/announce myfile
btdownloadheadless --saveas ./myfile --url
http://myserver/directory/myfile.torrent

Now I have been doing this for a month or so and the server hasn't had
to be rebooted yet, but running four different shells inside a screen
(for the four files) is a bit grim and also for unknown reasons the
server seems to stop offering some of the files unless I rejoin the
screen, break in and run the commands all over again (it claims to be
serving but not seeing any clients).

There must be a better way of doing this - though most sources say
hosting these things yourself is a bit stupid: is that right?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk