[Gllug] Seeding bit torrent on Debian: a better way of doing this?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Jan 23 14:55:35 UTC 2010

On 01/23/2010 01:17 PM, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> There must be a better way of doing this - though most sources say
> hosting these things yourself is a bit stupid: is that right?

have you looked at rtorrent ? its not hard making that into a 'service'
and letting it run that way. I know its used on some really large
torrent seeding places without any problems. And its not nearly as
hungry on resources as the 'bittorrent' python implementation, and a lot
more stable.

Not so sure about hosting it your issue - why would you not host
torrents yourself ? If you like, there are people out there who sell
torrent seeders on a monthly basis, you could consider that. but then
why bother with torrent at all, and just go with http/ftp.

- KB
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk