[Gllug] iPhone 4 or Android phone

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 11:30:21 UTC 2010

On 16 July 2010 11:46, Martyn Drake <martyn at drake.org.uk> wrote:
> I gave up on the Nexus after the touchscreen became increasingly less accurate and one had to twirl the damn phone around to get it to calibrate properly.  I also lost out on two emergency on-call SMSes that I didn't hear until it was too late - there was a 10 minute delay (and no, it was not the SMS gateway that was the problem, or even T-Mobile) and even then, when they came through there was a signficant delay between the alert sound and the alert.

It is very unwise to expect SMS to get through in an emergency. I used
to work for a large supplier of telco equipment (Mobile phone masts
and infrastructure)
There is no "read" receipt or guaranteed delivery time.
I would have used a process whereby the on-call person had to reply to
the SMS to acknowledge reading it.
The sender could then take appropriate action if it failed to get through.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk