[Gllug] iPhone 4 or Android phone

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Fri Jul 16 11:56:27 UTC 2010

On 16 Jul 2010, at 12:30, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> It is very unwise to expect SMS to get through in an emergency. I used
> to work for a large supplier of telco equipment (Mobile phone masts
> and infrastructure)
> There is no "read" receipt or guaranteed delivery time.
> I would have used a process whereby the on-call person had to reply to
> the SMS to acknowledge reading it.
> The sender could then take appropriate action if it failed to get through.

Indeed - this is why we have a primary and secondary on-call engineer.  If the primary does not answer within a set time, the secondary gets the alert.  Whoever gets the SMS has to acknowledge it by logging into a special web site which then records whose taken the call/dealing with it.

If both primary and secondary are out of action, for whatever reason, everybody who is listed as a contact then gets an SMS (known as the critical SMS) and it's for anybody in the pool to take and deal with.

Mart
--
Martyn Drake
martyn at drake.org.uk