[Gllug] iPhone 4 or Android phone

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Fri Jul 16 17:56:43 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 11:46 +0100, Martyn Drake wrote:
> On 15 Jul 2010, at 21:05, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>
> > I think Android might have better RF reception than the iPhone 4.
>
> I received a Nexus One from Google, free, earlier this year.  Initially it didn't have any issues with reception, but the longer
> I used it, the less reliable it became.  In the US, loads of people reported reception problems and it made the media, etc. in
> the same way that the iPhone 4's antannae issues are now.
>
> I gave up on the Nexus after the touchscreen became increasingly less accurate and one had to twirl the damn phone around to get
> it to calibrate properly.  I also lost out on two emergency on-call SMSes that I didn't hear until it was too late - there was a
> 10 minute delay (and no, it was not the SMS gateway that was the problem, or even T-Mobile) and even then, when they came through
> there was a signficant delay between the alert sound and the alert.
>
> I'm eyeing up the iPhone 3GS 8Gb on T-Mobile UK (which would be free on tarrif I'm on).  I already have a 64Gb iPod Touch so the
> lack of storage space isn't an issue.  It's just that I've got to buy myself out of my current contract to be able to do it -
> T-Mobile won't allow any early iPhone upgrade on existing contracts.  It's still cheaper than buying an iPhone unlocked, mind.
>
> Mart
> --
> Martyn Drake
> martyn at drake.org.uk
> http://drake.org.uk

Anybody who tries to use T-Mobile for "call-out" deserves all the grief
he gets.  Their coverage varies from bad to appalling (which is why
they've always had to have free voicemail!), and the delays in passing
texts are astonishing.  I can assure you that most of the problems you
experienced were NOT caused by the phone.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk