[Gllug] iPhone 4 or Android phone

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Jul 16 21:00:29 UTC 2010

On 16 Jul 2010, Christopher Hunter outgrape:
> Anybody who tries to use T-Mobile for "call-out" deserves all the
> grief he gets.  Their coverage varies from bad to appalling (which is
> why they've always had to have free voicemail!),

As is always the case, this is region-dependent. I can state that I get
continuous coverage along the entire London->York train line (except in
tunnels), good coverage in the middle of Cropton Forest (except where it
dips into uninhabited valleys such as the one inhabited by my parents,
where there is no mobile phone coverage at all), good coverage in a
nowhere village fifty miles outside Edinburgh, and good coverage in a
small dinghy off the coast of Cornwall (!)

Obviously there are coverage holes, but not huge ones by any means,
not in my experience.

>                                                  and the delays in
> passing texts are astonishing.

I've just been swapping texts with a friend of mine (not on t-mobile).
Average time between text send and receipt of a response from the other
person, rather less than a minute (she's got a proper keyboard so can
type at a good speed). Perhaps things are slower during the working day,
but the middle of the night (callout time) hardly counts as that.

>                                 I can assure you that most of the
> problems you experienced were NOT caused by the phone.

YMMV.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk