[Gllug] Body lotion

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Wed Jul 21 07:48:40 UTC 2010

On Wed 21 Jul, t.clarke wrote:

> Don't the motherboards have a temperature sensor on the CPU socket(s), which
> will cause the system to power-down if above a threshold temperature?
>
> Tim

   I have seen temperature sensors on short lengths of slightly springy
flexible PCB which could not hope to make good contact.
   You need to avoid air gaps in the thermal grease by applying about the
correct amount (not far too much) in the middle of the contact area and
allowing it to spread as the surfaces are squeezed together. Scrape the
grease back to the middle if you need to re-position the heatsink.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk