[Gllug] Body lotion

salsaman at xs4all.nl salsaman at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 21 15:41:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, July 21, 2010 08:44, t.clarke wrote:
> Don't the motherboards have a temperature sensor on the CPU socket(s),
> which
> will cause the system to power-down if above a threshold temperature?
>
> Tim
> --

Yes, in theory, and in fact that had saved the chip a few times before.
For some reason though, when i upgraded from ubuntu 9.10 to 10.4 the
temperature monitoring stopped working, at least in software. That may be
one factor. It did actually shut down with a temperature warning, but
would not restart after that. I'd also swapped the graphics card from one
without a fan to one with a fan. Prior to that I think generally the
graphics card would shut down first before the CPU.

Salsaman.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk