[Gllug] Problem with encrypted Debian root.

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Jul 20 23:47:59 UTC 2010

On 20 Jul 2010, Matthew King told this:

> Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> writes:
>
>> grub 1 and 2 *number their devices differently*?
>>
>> Dear holy fuck. Were the grub people actually *trying* to ruin the da of
>> anyone trying to upgrade, or what?
>
> It's better than that. While they changed the partition number to start
> at 1, they did not do so with the disc number.

*sob*

> Not to mention that the position on the bus, which the OS uses, is ignored.

*scream*

(hang on, *ignored*? so, er, how do they number the disks? black magic?
random? BIOS ordering?)

> [linux] hda1 -> [grub 1] (hd0,0) -> [grub 2] (hd0,1)

Oh, brilliant.

>> (I knew there was a reason I stuck with LILO. It Just Works.)
>
> Despite the complete cock-up with device naming, which is alleviated a
> lot by tab completion but still entirely moronic, the fact that grub is
> an interactive environment makes it 1000 times more useful than lilo. I
> never go far without a grub boot block, and have even set up a pxe menu
> entry to boot into grub. I can't count the number of times it's saved me
> from disaster.

For me, this is ameliorated entirely by a half-decent initramfs and
network booting :) I don't think I have ever been left in the crap by a
bad boot block; if I were, netbooting would easily let me recover.

Given that all my disks currently have one single partition, itself
LVMed, I'm not sure what interactivity would bring me.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk