[Gllug] iPhone 4 or Android phone

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri Jul 16 10:39:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 11:02 +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> Well, something that could run an interactive ssh session, forwarding X
> would be great :)

Both and none is the answer then. I have ssh on my HTC Hero and I
believe it is available on the iPhone. Neither of them however is a good
client for a cli except in the most urgent of emergencies. Generally if
I need to get real system access on the move I'll connect my laptop up
via the Hero which is extremely easy and just works.

> But mostly I want an interesting toy. Might as well be honest about it.

Given you are posting on a LUG list I will assume that includes wanting
to play with the tech beyond the Apple way of doing things - perhaps
writing your own code, etc. If that is the case then there is only one
choice and that is Android.

On Apple if you want to do something interesting you have to hope that
"there's an app for that". On the Android platform you can write it
yourself if you want to and share it with others without needing them to
jailbreak their phones.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk