[Gllug] Re-access broken remote connection to process?

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 20 08:14:02 UTC 2010

On 20 June 2010 08:34, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, what sort of application needs human
> intervention every few hours.
> Can the job be broken into multiple smaller jobs.

I have helped people set up "computational steering" for scientific
workloads on a batch systems in the past
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_steering

It is possible to run batch jobs interactively if that makes sense -
the batch system just 'farms out' the executable to a free machine,
and you retain the input and output terminal.
Funnily enough, the Wikipedia article has the example of population
dynamics, and it was for something similar that I set up the
computational steering.

> So, one runs one job, when if finishes, it emails the operator, the
> operator then provides the needed inputs, and it runs the next job
> etc.
Batch / load levelling systems have this concept - 'job dependencies'.
You submit a series of jobs, usually a main long wallclock time
processing step, followed by post-processing jobs which are set to
depend on the main job finishing.
You could set the dependent jobs to be held in the queue till the
opeator provides this sort of manual input, would be quite easy to set
up.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk