[Gllug] Picking a linux distro

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 07:40:49 UTC 2010

On 19 June 2010 20:35, Adrian McMenamin <adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info> wrote:
> I have an old laptop with 256 MB memory and a pentium III that I am
> tinking of using for some kernel development (testing some ideas on
> handling low memory) - I'd like a disto that makes it easy to use a
> custom 2.6 kernel and will not fall over wit that level of memory unless
> I want it to.
>
> Any recommendations?

It probably depends on whether you need a GUI or not.
When I do kernel development, I normally use net-boot a non-GUI Linux/GNU.
Then if the machine crashes, it does not corrupt the file system in any way.
It really does not matter which distro you use for that.
I have used gentoo, ubuntu and debian, and there is very little
difference between them for kernel development.

Kind Regards

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk