[Gllug] make -j problems

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Fri Jun 25 14:55:55 UTC 2010

On 2010-06-22 20:37, Nix wrote:
> On 22 Jun 2010, Rich Walker uttered the following:
>
>> I want to run make from a script on another machine.
>>
>> At the moment, I execute
>> ssh -X machine "cd /usr/src/linux; setarch i386 make ; make --jobs=4
>> CC=gcc bzImage modules"
>
> Uh, that's what you're asking for. Specifically, you're asking it to run
> make without arguments with the i386 architecture, then to run "make
> --jobs=4 CC=gcc bzImage modules" with the default arch. So the makes
> may be run with different architectures (which used to be disastrous:
> I think kbuild can recover better now), and the first one will be run
> unparallelized.

Right - I see my problem - setarch x y runs y as arch x once. Man page
reading fail.

> (hm, why do you need X to build the kernel? You're not doing an xconfig
> there or anything...)

Force of habit on the ssh :=)

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadowrobot.com
managing director      251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/              @shadowrobot
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk