[Gllug] make -j problems

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Jun 22 19:37:21 UTC 2010

On 22 Jun 2010, Rich Walker uttered the following:

> I want to run make from a script on another machine.
>
> At the moment, I execute
> ssh -X machine "cd /usr/src/linux; setarch i386 make ; make --jobs=4
> CC=gcc bzImage modules"

Uh, that's what you're asking for. Specifically, you're asking it to run
make without arguments with the i386 architecture, then to run "make
--jobs=4 CC=gcc bzImage modules" with the default arch. So the makes
may be run with different architectures (which used to be disastrous:
I think kbuild can recover better now), and the first one will be run
unparallelized.

> but it ignores the -j (4-CPU machine...)

Try

ssh -X machine "cd /usr/src/linux && setarch i386 make --jobs=4 CC=gcc bzImage modules"

(a bit of extra paranoia there too).

btw, 'bzImage' is pretty much completely obsolete now. You should find that

ssh -X machine "cd /usr/src/linux && setarch i386 make --jobs=4 CC=gcc"

will work just as well. ('linux32' is a slightly shorter way of saying
'setarch i386'.)

(hm, why do you need X to build the kernel? You're not doing an xconfig
there or anything...)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk