[Gllug] [OT] Summer and DSL etc

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Fri Jun 18 07:37:23 UTC 2010

On Fri 18 Jun, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:

> Had a crackle on my line a few weeks back. I waited a week to see if it
> went away of it's own accord but it didn't so I tested the master socket
> with another handset. It was still crackly even with the other handset
> so I called them. They'd had someone round and fixed it within 4 hours
> of my call and it's been perfect ever since. The engineer even texted me
> to let me know when he was arriving, when and for how long my service
> would be disrupted and when he'd fixed it.

   BT should be able to apply a standard test from their exchange involving
sending a known waveform (squarewave) along the cable and looking for
reflections using an oscilloscope. The timing, amplitude, shape, and
polarity give information about the type and location of any fault.
   A single fault will give a fixed delay, multiple delays should suggest
serious maintenance or new cables required.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk