[Gllug] Partition a 2 TB drive for storing films

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Mar 7 11:26:40 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 06:01:38PM +0000, John Winters wrote:
> I've just bought a 2 TB Seagate USB drive (130 squids from Maplin) to
> store my film collection on, replacing an older 750G one.
>
> I was pleased to see that at last it didn't come formatted with one
> large FAT partition.  Instead it had one large NTFS partition, so that
> had to go.
>
> Is there any reason for me not to just make one large ext3 partition?
> Is there anything else more suited to a large filesystem?  Note that
> there will be a relatively small number of largish (2 to 4 gig) files on it.

FWIW: http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2009/11/08/filesystem-metadata-overhead/

If you decide to use more than one partition, you may need to
partition the disk using EFI instead of MBR (depending on whether the
disk is actually larger than the 2 TB limit for MBR-style partition
tables).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones