[Gllug] Partition a 2 TB drive for storing films

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sun Mar 7 08:08:10 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 18:48 +0000, Nix banged the rocks together and
said:

> Even if you use -T largefile4, you will curse the day you chose to use ext3
> the day it fscks for the first time.

That's a lesson I learned just yesterday, alas.

> Natively-created ext4 filesystems
> are much much faster, especially if built with -G 64 or something like that
> (which also speeds up metadata-heavy writes, but you're not doing that
> with this fs: still, the effect on fsck speeds is notable).

Thanks for the advice.  I've backed everything up to another drive (ext
4) and will repartition the original one in the same way.  Once again,
drives are getting big enough that housekeeping is taking significant
time  - we went through a period with ever faster drives, but without
much increase in capacity.

I received five 2 Tb drives yesterday, and I'm going to build a UPS
backed-up NAS using a spare machine I have here....

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk