[Gllug] Topics you would like on a training class.

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Mon Mar 8 15:13:12 UTC 2010

On 08/03/10 14:05, JLMS wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am tinkering with the idea of starting a company to provide training
> in the Linux-FOSS field.
>
> So I have a question for you all, long time veterans and newbies (are
> there any here?) alike.
>
> Which topics would you want to see offered by such a company?
>
> I am not thinking about full certification of any flavour of Linux or
> specific products for now (there are tons of people doing that now),
> but rather specific topics that one wishes would have been explained
> by somebody instead of having to jump on your own completely ignorant
> of how to do things :-)

My situation is that I'm an IT Manager who usually works with Windows
systems and users, but I expect to be encountering Linux more in the
future. There are some problems that I can see arising and there are
some training courses that I can see being very useful. Whether you
would want to deliver them is a different question.

First and foremost I would want conversion training for users of
Microsoft Office to Open Office. It's not very glamorous but it's by far
the highest priority and for a training company I would expect it to
become the cash-cow. I would want beginner, intermediate and power-user
courses possibly including ECDL certification. Power-user training would
include macro programming. I would want to switch users to Open Office
before I switched them to Linux, so the training should cover both
platforms.

For the power-users I would want training in Bash. Again, beginner
intermediate and advanced. Advanced would include basic Perl. I wouldn't
expect to send very many people on to any course that involved use of
the command-line.

The second most important requirement will be for training in
line-of-business applications. For the near future I expect Linux to be
mainly restricted to sites where large numbers of people use specific
applications for most of their work. Call-centres, that sort of site. I
would want a training company that could come in, take a look at
software before it is completed and build a training course on it, then
deliver it to lots of people.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com