[Gllug] Topics you would like on a training class.

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Mon Mar 8 14:25:41 UTC 2010

> Which topics would you want to see offered by such a company?

I think larger places want either programming talent which is
often (arguably quite mistakenly) linked to immediate requirements
(ie: a particular language or framework), or likewise sysadmin
talent with experience in a certain platform with immediate
demand.

As you mentioned existing FOSS certifications seems to take care
of some of the above.

I would consider (even prefer) a candidate with more general
training however the issue with training is that people do not
necessarily have the perception that a given course has any
content in particular if they have not heard of it or it is not
platform-linked.

Therefore I would recommend including extensive information on
ground covered in any certificates issued, so that potential
or existing employers reviewing output can get a really clear
idea of which areas have been covered, and to what extent.

> For example, some of my pet peeves:
> - Setting up a kerberos server and environment.
> - Setting and using OpenLDAP.

IMHO less likely to win clients.

> - Shell programming (basic, advanced, guru topics :-) ).

IMHO this is often of lesser (even dubious) utility these days...

> - Popular (perl, python) and no so popular scripting languages.

IMHO those who would claim recognition of a programming language
based on an intro-course rather than a past project or commercial
experience are an instant worry - the curiosity and drive to use
information freely available to 'skill up' or keep up to date over
time represent a real type of personality attribute that many(*)
see as a fundamental requirement for good programmers.
So errr ... I'd recommend against this as a focus from a pragmatic
perspective as a potential employer of course-attendees, though
it may very well work out to be a profitable enterprise.
(Profit-making and sustainability are often two very separate things!)

(* For example some chapters of 'Coders at work' by Peter Siebel)

> - Performance analysis.

Very interesting area and IMHO one that you could consult in
exclusively if you wanted to and have the ability to get
the clients in the door.

> - Security.

Likewise, but the market seems to be maturing for this so you'd
better have some good credentials to make a dent on your own.

> What else do you think may be of interest?

Mostly business-side in areas with recent change...
 - Groupware
 - Unified Communications (UM) / Unified Messaging (UM) with
   Asterisk + XMPP, fax servers, automated email processing, etc.
 - Automated open source accounting solutions

Hope the above is of some use though the normal "take it or leave
it", "my views only", "I'm not claiming omniscience", etc. do
naturally apply ;)

- Walter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk