[Gllug] Cygwin confusion...

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Sat Mar 27 06:45:09 UTC 2010

On Fri 26 Mar, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:

> Well that's exactly where I am now, I wouldn't dream of fscking a drive
> in this condition before backing up what I could of it, I think you must
> have missed the first half of my post somehow. The problem I have is
> that I'm not sure of the syntax for specifying which drives to use in
> ddrescue (on windows/cygwin, I haven't found a linux that will boot at
> all with this drive attached) and, more importantly, how to fire it up
> so it adds to the partial image file I got from using straight ahead
> windows dd as I don't want to put more hours on the disk than I
> absolutely have to.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Roger.

   That is why I suggested you disconnect the drive until you have found a
way to boot a computer and are ready to retrieve the data. You may need to
modify the BIOS settings to be able to boot from a CD, but I have seen very
few PCs that will not boot from Knoppix. If the drive was originally Master
on the first cable you may want to move it to the second IDE cable or change
the drive jumper links to slave.
   You can of course pay a data recovery company, but I have computers with
IDE drives in North Acton if you need to borrow one for the job.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk