[Gllug] Cygwin confusion...

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sat Mar 27 13:16:16 UTC 2010

Chris Bell wrote:
> On Fri 26 Mar, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>

>> Well that's exactly where I am now, I wouldn't dream of fscking a drive
>> in this condition before backing up what I could of it, I think you must
>> have missed the first half of my post somehow. The problem I have is
>> that I'm not sure of the syntax for specifying which drives to use in
>> ddrescue (on windows/cygwin, I haven't found a linux that will boot at
>> all with this drive attached) and, more importantly, how to fire it up
>> so it adds to the partial image file I got from using straight ahead
>> windows dd as I don't want to put more hours on the disk than I
>> absolutely have to.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

>> Roger.
>>

>    That is why I suggested you disconnect the drive until you have found a
> way to boot a computer and are ready to retrieve the data. You may need to
> modify the BIOS settings to be able to boot from a CD, but I have seen very
> few PCs that will not boot from Knoppix. If the drive was originally Master
> on the first cable you may want to move it to the second IDE cable or change
> the drive jumper links to slave.
>    You can of course pay a data recovery company, but I have computers with
> IDE drives in North Acton if you need to borrow one for the job.

Dude thanks but I know all that, it is disconnected. I have fixed
computers for a living for over 10 years now and routinely recover data
from failing drives, I have myriad spare computers & my bios and jumpers
are all set correctly.

I would use Linux for this job but Linux WILL NOT BOOT with this drive
attached where as windows WILL - that's why I'm using windows, the Linux
kernel quite literally crashes during the boot process. I simply thought
I'd ask if anyone knew the drive path syntax for ddrescue under cygwin
and how to get it to append to an image rather than overwrite it as I
have already imaged 80% of this drive.

Thanks,

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk